Approximately fifty engineering and technical professionals met on October 11, 2016 at the CAVS Extension in Canton to network with others in their fields of expertise and to learn about professional organizations in the area. The groups represented included:
- ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers)
- ASQ (American Society for Quality)
- IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers)
- GRITS (Gulf Regional Intelligent Transportation Society)
- MES (Mississippi Engineering Society)
- NSBE (National Society of Black Engineers)
- SME (Society of Manufacturing Engineers)
- SMRP (Society of Maintenance and Reliability Professionals)
Clay Walden, the Director of CAVS Extension, presented an overview of the center and its capabilities, and moderated a panel discussion entitled "The Importance of Engineering and Technical Professionals to the Competitiveness of the Mississippi Workforce". Industry and economic development leaders who participated were:
- Erik Fields, Director of Engineering - Nissan
- Mickey Milligan, Director of Existing Business - MS Development Authority
- David Creel, Director of Manufacturing Training, Hinds Community College
- Don "Stogie" Stoegbauer, Executive Director - MS Automotive Manufacturers Association"
The evening concluded with a tour of the CAVS center's Quality Manufacturing Lab and a demonstration of current simulation projects.